“Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms”
1 Peter 4:10
What is Outreach?
Servant Leadership is one of the core values of Christ Church Preparatory School and College. Pupils are equipped to serve those not as privileged as they are.
Outreach includes not only the physical needs of others, but spiritual and emotional needs as well.
How is Outreach addressed?
- Pupils and staff are encouraged to participate in events organised by the school as well as activities in the community and churches.
- The age and development of pupils are taken into consideration for the different Outreach events.
- Younger pupils are involved in activities where adult supervision is available.
- As they become older, they are given more responsibilities to participate, plan and run events.
- Ideas from pupils are considered when useable and practical.
- Parents are encouraged to assist in projects such as cupcake sales, transport and other fundraising events, as well as attending any Outreach events.
- This is a significant part of Outreach and we cannot function without funds.
- Funds are used for the transportation of pupils to venues.
- Purchase of materials needed for events / outreach projects.
- Stationery for schools.
- Supporting children with needs, such as uniforms.
- Carols by Candlelight: Linda Ritchie & Rietjie Pienaar.
- Talent show: Debra Da Cruz, Etinah Matewe and Maralyn Mulauzi.
- Spur evening: Etinah Matewe, Maralyn Mulauzi and Debra Da Cruz.
“Prayer in action is love, and love in action is service. Try to give unconditionally whatever a person needs in the moment. The point is to do something, however small, and show you care through your actions by giving your time … We are all God’s children, so it is important to share His gifts. Do not worry about why problems exist in the world – just respond to people’s needs … We feel what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean, but that ocean would be less without that drop.” – Mother Teresa
Who is Involved?
All pupils are encouraged to be involved in a project – it is optional and a change of heart should be instilled to inspire pupils to participate of their own free will.
Outreach Monitors encourage the younger pupils during Prep School Assemblies.
A concerted effort should be made to encourage parents to assist and get involved in Outreach Projects.
Teachers and Staff members:
Teachers and other staff members have the biggest influence on pupils. They have the ability to change children’s hearts regarding Outreach and their enthusiasm is contagious. Encourage pupils to participate and support all Outreach Projects.
Prep & Pre-School
Coordinators and events:
- Pre-School: Collecting cat and dog food for the SPCA.
- Knit-a-Toy Project.
- Grade 1: Outreach Awareness Day (with Grade 3’s).
- Knit-a-Toy Project.
- Stationery & Outreach t-shirts.
- Grade 2: Organise, advertise and manage Cupcake Sales.
- Grade 3: Outreach Awareness Day (Organising and involving other grades).
- Grade 4: SPCA x 2: Visits and collection of food blankets, etc.
- Grade 5: Support-a-Missionary, letters & cards.
- Grade 6: Highveld Gardens – Old Age Home x 2.
- Outreach Assembly – Outreach Monitors.
- Outreach Entrepreneur’s Day.
- Funds: William McKee & Rietjie Pienaar.
- Other projects might be taken on during the year.
- All classes will still be involved and encouraged to participate in all projects.
As a Christian school we wish to demonstrate our concern and care for the world through appropriate action, and we wish to engender a desire in our pupils to be concerned for those less fortunate than themselves.
Each Grade will decide on a project that they will run with through the year. It is hoped, that this will allow us, as a school, to build stronger relationships with the organisations involved.
A Grade Buddy is appointed to each grade, and this person, amongst other roles, will assume responsibility for the outreach in their grade, in lieu of traditional registration duties.
- Grade 7: Nyalethi Children’s home
- Grade 8: Sunrise School
- Grade 9: Roodeport Magistrates Court
- Grade 11: Kitty and Puppy Haven